Why I am Convinced that the Bible is the Only True Word of God and that the God of the Bible is the Only Real God and Creator of the Universe – Part 1
Simply put, I believe the Bible is True and the Only Word of God, and believe that the God of the Bible is the Only, Living and True God … because of Truth and that these beliefs I hold to fully Align with Reality. I will explain this much deeper as we go along, but we need to address a few assumptions before we get into digging deeper into the set of Reasonable Reasons for Faith in God and His Word. In all discussions of seeking Truth, or seeking to Find the Truth, we must, FIRST, all have a common starting point. We must all have some “planet-wide”, human, common, base assumptions. Since, we are all humans (i.e.: we are all related to each other genetically) there must be some sort of common assumptions we all have. Throughout history it has been clearly seen that there is an overwhelmingly simple set of common assumptions that all humans have used and continue to use today to “Find the Truth” about anything they are seeking in normal, everyday living. Again, we are starting with a base assumption that all humans have, even young children.
We must have a base assumption or idea of what we mean by “Truth” or if something is “True”. That concept or idea relates to the concepts of consistency, integrity, faithfulness, and something that can be tested in some way (i.e. can be verified) in most cases. The best definition I have found regarding telling the “TRUTH” is: “the accurate reporting of reality and/or of the actual facts”. Truth is always about REPORTING something, about some event or about someone. If I tell you a LIE, I am either “twisting the facts”, “holding back some of the facts”, “suppressing some of the facts”, “not telling you the ‘whole story’”, or “I am making up something entirely NOT aligned with the facts or reality of the situation, etc.” I am not talking about making a mistake about forgetting some of the facts, in this case, but being intentional about misleading someone about what happened, etc. Thus, I would be “reporting to you NOT what really happened” – I would, intentionally, NOT tell you the Truth about what happened, about the character of a person, or about something. We would all agree, a LIE –> is Telling or Reporting something that is NOT Aligned with Reality, NOT Aligned with the Facts as they Really happened, etc. Once the “Facts” of the “situation” are “found out”, people can determine if the “story” or the “reporting” lines up with Reality or the Facts. That is when folks find out that what was told to them was a LIE. Therefore, from this base, common assumption regarding “Truth” … we can see that TRUTH is the Opposite of LIES. Yes, it is “Black and White”, always. Again, we are not talking about shoe style preference here, but Truth compared to Lies. “IT” is either TRUE or FALSE. There are no GREY areas regarding TRUTH. This is why the Judicial Courts of most countries in the World want witnesses to Tell the Truth. Have you ever wondered why Judges do not just ask the witnesses, “please, make up a believable story about ‘such and such’, we are not really concerned about ‘The Truth’”? I know that sounds ridiculous, but I think you see my point, here. When “push comes to shove” we demand the truth, especially from other people.
Thus, in everyday life, we are confronted with and deal with a myriad of choices and situations in which we must DISCERN Truth compared to Lies or that which is False. In most cases, within those situations, the Truth is obvious and the FALSE or LIES are also obvious. The base sense we have of “does this match with reality or of the facts presented?” … “Truth” therefore is Discover-able, Observable, and Experiential, in most cases.
The next “concept” is: PREDICTIVE MODEL. A Predictive Model tends to be a Principle, a Premise, a Statement, a Conceptual Framework, and/or a Report of a Historical Event that “says” that it is TRUE and REAL. A PREDICTIVE MODEL typically produces an Expectation or a Set of Expectations. Here is an Example that I hope will illustrate this concept of “PREDICTIVE MODEL” ==> “If you put your unprotected hand in the fire or in a flame (not quickly) it WILL get burned to some extent.” OK, so we see that this is a Principle or a Premise that is “spoken” or “written” and can be understood. It is TESTABLE. It gives us the Expectation that if I disobey this WARNING … ==> If I actually stick my unprotected hand in the flame of fire then I should get burnt by the fire. So, I can test this. If I put my hand in the fire, very, very quickly, only my hair gets singed. But, upon a deeper, microscopic view, I do see some of a few skin cells did get slightly damaged. So, this PREMISE, this PREDICTIVE MODEL is correct and lines up with Truth. The Expectations it presented are testable and we can see by verification that it is true. So, I can explain that predictive model this way … “I expect to see my hand to get burned in some way if I put my hand in the flame”. In the same way, the Bible is a PREDICTIVE MODEL or presents many PREDICTIVE MODELS within its text, from Genesis 1:1 through Revelation 22:21. Not everything can be “Scientifically Tested” within a laboratory, but many of its PREDICTIVE MODELS it presents, their sets of Expectations can be tested in some way… the TRUTH can be Discovered.
Let me give you an example of what I mean when I say that the Bible presents Predictive Models. Let’s look specifically at the case study of the Flood during the time of Noah. We can read about this purported historical account in the book of Genesis, in chapters 6 through 9. Parts of Chapters 8 and 9, also, contain the accounts of what happened after the Boat (i.e.: Noah’s Ark) landed and the 8 people (survivors) and all the animals aboard the Ark came out, etc. The focus we are going to look at right now is the contents of information that relates to the actual Global Flood. Genesis 6 – 9 makes the claim that God flooded the whole world with a World-Wide, Global Flood of Water. Genesis 7:11-12 records: “In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on the same day all the fountains of the great deep burst open, and the floodgates of the sky were opened. The rain fell upon the earth for forty days and forty nights.” In this passage it seems to point to an exact Calendar day in which certain events occurred. It mentions “all the fountains of the great deep burst open” and the “floodgates of the sky were opened”. It wasn’t just rain, it was “fountains of the deep” What are fountains of the deep? We still have them today, deep on the ocean floor. They pour out subterranean super-heated water, gases, and lava (or other materials that make up normal “soil”, etc.). When the passage mentions “all the fountains of the deep burst open” … this expresses violence and explosive power. We can study, today, rain causes massive erosion of mountains and hills. This action can be seen today. We watch news stories all the time on TV regarding massive flooding in various areas of the world because of hurricanes bringing in massive rains for several days. We can see the devastating effects. Multiply this millions of times more massive, just the rain aspect of Noah’s flood. Now add to this the effective of all the millions of ocean floor volcanoes (and maybe those above the water line, on land) all exploding at the same time all over the world. This would be a massive, chaotic, watery, muddy mess.
So, what would I expect to see today, IF the “story” of Noah’s Flood is true, as recorded in Genesis 6-9?
- I would expect to find billions, if not trillions, of dead things, in sedimentary layers of rock all over the world. Massive amounts of fossils created quickly because of the layers of mud flowed quickly and covered many animals before they had a chance to decay or be eaten by other creatures, etc. I would also expect to see more aquatic creatures than land animals in these layers of mud that turned into sedimentary layers of rock. I would expect to find fossils of ocean creature on the top of the highest mountains (do some research regarding the amount of and the kind of fossils found on the top of Mt. Everest and other very high mountains, you’ll be amazed).
Also, I would expect to find “fossils” that would still be “young” enough to have remnants of collagen, blood cells, blood vessels, bone, Carbon-14 and other remnants of living material. This would be expected. And guess what? This is what has been found, over and over again. see the following links for more on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMsIqmdvUMs , http://kgov.com/dinosaur-soft-tissue , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UIStXAmSyw , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eoxZvV6YY8 . Collagen can only last around 30,000 years (best case scenario): http://www.icr.org/article/how-long-can-cartilage-last/
DNA and bone cells found in dinosaur bone: http://goo.gl/DCa99c
- I would expect to find Mountain Ranges that have not had much erosion on them (i.e.: new mountain ranges) and some remnants of “older” Mountain Ranges that have had a lot of erosion
- I would expect to see massive Inland Seas, or remnants of them (think: the Great Lakes; think: of the “Great Basin” and parts of Utah that were clearly “ancient” inland seas)
- I would expect to see massive Canyons carved out of soft sedimentary rock beds, but have now hardened into sedimentary rock (think: the Grand Canyon. The river did not form that canyon over millions of years… the Canyon was formed while it was still moist and massive water drained out of the inland sea like a damn bursting, that action caused the canyon to be gouged out in one or a few events, quickly. This same type of event was recorded on film in the Mt. Saint Helens area, etc.)
- I would expect to see sedimentary rock layers that have bends in them, unexplained bends … because they were bent and reshaped while they were all still fresh and moist (i.e. bendable)
(ref.: https://answersingenesis.org/geology/rock-layers/rock-layers-folded-not-fractured/ )
- Polystrate Fossils: I would expect to see upright and upside-down Trees in many layers of sedimentary rock, since those trees were stripped by the flood and then re-deposited in new locations. Some with roots in tact, other with no roots (such as what we find in “petrified forests” all over the world) [ many images: http://goo.gl/Soxb7d ]
- I would expect to find more water deep under the ocean floor. I would expect to find all the water necessary to have a world-wide global flood as described in Genesis 6 through 9. (see http://www.weather.com/science/news/oceans-water-discovered-deep-beneath-north-america-20140613 for proof of more than enough water necessary)
- I would expect to find Genetic issues regarding humans. Thus, if some skeletons of people are discovered that are from the time period of before the Flood, they would be people who did not make it onto the Ark. Their descendants didn’t continue on after the Flood. So, their Genetic lines, Genetic nuances and Genetic differences would NOT make it into the present Human Race. The present human race, according to the Bible, is descended from the 3 sons of Noah and their wives. We are their genetic descendants. We are NOT the Genetic descendants of those that did NOT make it onto the Ark. Thus, if some skeletons of people are found in some caves, hunkered down, large and old looking, etc…, and they are found as if they are hiding from something, they could be those that were fleeing from the Flood but died in the Flood. We might find some skeletons with some testable DNA in them. If scientist do find such skeletons, they would test positive as humans, but might have Genetic nuances, Genetic markers that no human today has. That would be expected if the Bible’s Account of the Flood of Noah is true. If certain skeletons are found that have no relationship with the 8 survivors of the Ark (i.e. Noah and his family), they quite possibly could have many Genetic nuances that just are NOT seen in our Human Genome, today. Yes, this would be completely expected.
(although this link points to a study by atheistic, evolutionary scientists… this article exposes the truth regarding missing DNA from modern humans compared to this recently discovered skeleton found in Russia that is “Neaderthal-like” … proves that some “ancient” human DNA sequences from these “ancient” skeletons cannot be found in any human alive today … http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/11/37000-year-old-russian-skeleton-has-neanderthal-dna-thats-gone-missing/ , again this is fully expected if the Flood during Noah’s time actually took place as described in the Bible)
Some of the expectations that we just discussed above, Atheistic Evolutionists have no explanation for, based upon their worldview, using their theories or Predictive Models. Just to let you know, I also used to be an atheist. So, I know what I am talking about. I know their arguments for proving “atheism”, very well. The findings discussed, above, Evolutionists would simply call them ‘anomalies’. But, the Biblical Expectations regarding the world-wide flood of Noah’s time fit perfectly with what we actually do find, in reality. Regarding the rest of the Bible, what would be expect to find, if it is really true? Regarding the various Theories of Evolution, if any one of them are true, what would we expect to find? Remember, each (i.e.: The Bible or “Evolution”) presents its own set of PREDICTIVE MODELS from which we can test to see if their respective Expectations line up with reality. They are TESTABLE.
In our next few installments, in this series, I will enumerate and explain my reasonable reasons regarding why I believe the Bible is the true and only Word of God, and that the God of the Bible is the Only True and Living God, the Creator of the Universe, etc.
If this article was helpful, please spread the word …
… so that more folks can benefit and be in encouraged in the LORD
… and have more confidence in His Holy Word, the Bible.
May God Richly Bless you and yours